Another year, another Grammy Awards!
The 58th ceremony nominees for the blues category (among the rest of course) have been announced yesterday, as follows:
This year we have some heavy contenders... let's go one by one:
1) Cedric Burnside is a grandson of legendary bluesman RL Burnside, and has won several Blues Music Awards in the past.
I couldn't find a studio version of his latest songs off the album so here's a live clip instead:
2) Shamekia Copeland is a blue/soul queen with a fabulous voice. She has held her own in the blues world and has won many awards.
3) Buddy Guy needs no introduction. He's the current OG of the blues world, leading the pack.
4) Bettye LaVette is a soul singer who rose to fame in mid-2000s, but has been singing and recording at a young age. She's got a versatile repertoire.
5) This last album, which I covered recently is mainly for John Primer, but various artists like Billy Branch, Gary Clark Jr., Shemekia Copeland, James Cotton, Bob Margolin are also involved. This album is a compilation of covers celebrating Muddy Waters' 100th birthday.
Personally, as a fan of old school Chicago blues, I predict this will be a toss-up between Buddy Guy and Joe Primer.
What do you think? Tune in on 15 February to find out!